Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So this is somewhat confusing

5 posters

Go down

So this is somewhat confusing Empty So this is somewhat confusing

Post by Alexei Zhukov Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Apparently there's some ruckus going on in the fom forums about what is gonna be considered canon or not, and some "old fom vets" (yeah right) said that what happens after the kickstarter will not be considered canon. This is confusing. I'm not sure why they decided to make that distinction, nor what this means.
Alexei Zhukov
Alexei Zhukov
Commander
Commander

Loyalty : 8136

Back to top Go down

So this is somewhat confusing Empty Re: So this is somewhat confusing

Post by Graf Cyril Valdar Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 pm

The way I see it, is these so-called vets (and if some of these guys are vets, then any number of people are vets) have finally had their egos stroked and inflated to the point where they think they and they alone know what is best for FoM.

Just think, most of these people have not actively played FoM since late 2010 or 2011. They have spent the last 2-3 years on the forums, TS3 and Vent circlejerking and congratulating themselves on how smart and wise they are.

At this point, despite how much some of these people have contributed in the past, they have not done so recently, and are riding on past accomplishments (or imagined accomplishments).

Seems rather reminiscent of certain overbearing GMs.

Graf Cyril Valdar
Graf Cyril Valdar
Commandant
Commandant

Loyalty : 8126

Back to top Go down

Post by Graf Cyril Valdar Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I would have posted on that thread, but I don't want to be on the same side as Matthew Giovanni/Dizzikid/Christian Davis.
Graf Cyril Valdar
Graf Cyril Valdar
Commandant
Commandant

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Lawrie Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 pm

It's obvious trolling, and is pretty humourous considering how many people haven't realised that it's trolling. Seriously if you think that the CRP actually met up (even in TS) to talk about FoM canon than I have a nice bridge in London to sell you.
Chip Lawrie
Chip Lawrie
Dusk Operative
Dusk Operative

Loyalty : 8509

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexei Zhukov Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Chip Lawrie wrote:It's obvious trolling, and is pretty humourous considering how many people haven't realised that it's trolling. Seriously if you think that the CRP actually met up (even in TS) to talk about FoM canon than I have a nice bridge in London to sell you.

Not quite what I meant. Seems that they're having an anti-Canon Circlejerk at least.
Alexei Zhukov
Alexei Zhukov
Commander
Commander

Loyalty : 8136

Back to top Go down

Post by Graf Cyril Valdar Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Chip Lawrie wrote:It's obvious trolling, and is pretty humourous considering how many people haven't realised that it's trolling. Seriously if you think that the CRP actually met up (even in TS) to talk about FoM canon than I have a nice bridge in London to sell you.

Chip, I'm not talking about canon or the CRP.
It's a general sense of superiority that started 4-8 years ago with simple trolling and usual FoM shenanigans and has escalated out of control. It's to the point that it's bad for FoM and FoM's reputation.
How do you think this will look to new people who may be interested in playing once FOTD comes out?

That said, at least these select individuals usually focus their efforts on actual bads like Robolord, Spack Daniel, and the like, which is why I do not speak out.

But how long will it take before they drive off a prospective new player.
Graf Cyril Valdar
Graf Cyril Valdar
Commandant
Commandant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kreian Legion Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Graf Cyril Valdar wrote:

Chip, I'm not talking about canon or the CRP.
It's a general sense of superiority that started 4-8 years ago with simple trolling and usual FoM shenanigans and has escalated out of control. It's to the point that it's bad for FoM and FoM's reputation.
How do you think this will look to new people who may be interested in playing once FOTD comes out?

That said, at least these select individuals usually focus their efforts on actual bads like Robolord, Spack Daniel, and the like, which is why I do not speak out.

But how long will it take before they drive off a prospective new player.

Have some rep. The only way for FoM to survive with any degree of prosperity is for a major shift in the "veteran" community's attitude, I think they just need to fall in love with FoM again... let's hope FotD exceeds their expectations, because their current outlook is damaging. Instead of guiding the newbies they just get shittalked, which is pretty fucked really when you think about it.

IMO it's time to embrace change instead of being stuck in the old ways, because let's face it FoM currently is dire and the only way to get out of the hole that has been made for us is to burn it to the ground and start over with a fresh perspective.
Kreian Legion
Kreian Legion
Director
Director

Loyalty : 8617

https://thenetwork.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Lawrie Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 am

meh I guess I'm just so used to it I find it hard to care that much anymore, especially since I do agree with some of their points (I mean not the canon and CRP elitism thing but the whole you have to do something to become a factor rather than just expect everyone to accept you and do as you say.) I admit that it does sort of make the game less accessible but it's no different from the more powerful guilds in other MMOs the only difference is the player run aspect makes the whole factor non-factor thing a bit more important.

I do also think that forum Mods deleting threads wholesale (even if they are troll threads) is a bit much.

FoM atm is dire because of the community and it would be nice if we were all a bit more civil to each other - but the essence of FoM is that each persons actions give them a reputation and that no one can dictate these actions but them. I personally don't think that it is right for us to enforce change on others in the context of FoM.

I also suspect that FotD might cure some of the BVS.
Chip Lawrie
Chip Lawrie
Dusk Operative
Dusk Operative

Loyalty : 8509

Back to top Go down

Post by Graf Cyril Valdar Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 am

http://forums.faceofmankind.com/showthread.php?20593-We-stand-resolute

This is the third thread. I honestly hope that each of them eat a ban.

Dear Citizens,

The communications made by both Lord Mask and Lord Sanji have been cast aside by those who would see you stray from the path of relevance. Indeed, it is far easier to bury a thing then to allow it to rest in plain sight. This is the level of control, and the existence, that they would see for you. I believe that each of you, deep down inside, has relevance. That is the belief in which I have fought for all these years and I will not cast aside my belief now.

They do not believe you can handle relevance. Why? They see relevance as a threat to their own existence as they lack the means to speak as we do. To exist in relevance as we do. They live in cold boxes. They are disconnected from what we know for fear of the strength you possess. In short, they are not relevant and they seek means in which to enforce such non-relevance upon you. They have bet against you while we continue to place our chips in favor of what we believe you can one day be.

We, the CRP, believe in you. We believe that all people have the potential for relevance. We open our arms to any who would choose to stand on their own feet and determine their destiny for such actions are on the path to relevance. It is due to such events that the Equal Opportunity for Relevance legislation was drafted. Most of you may be useless ♥♥♥♥♥ but we believe you could one day be something more.

Support this legislation, decry the abusive actions of those whom would seek to limit you. Stand for what you believe to be true. Stand for relevance in this new age.

Signed,

Lord Aldren
Council of Relevant People.
Graf Cyril Valdar
Graf Cyril Valdar
Commandant
Commandant

Back to top Go down

Post by Cappadocius Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 am

''IMO it's time to embrace change instead of being stuck in the old ways.''

You do know that most of the ''Veteran Community'' are held back by their never-ending nostalgia about ''the good old days where the grass was surely greener'' that they will never be able to embrace change.

Sure, I agree with you. Change doesn't always bring good things, but it *is* a good thing, however most of the community would rather die off with their old memories then embrace change. As for hoping that FoTD exceeds their expectations? I doubt it would happen, since these are the kinds of people that expect the Gods themselves to hand them their every desire on a golden plate. They want Old FoM, nothing else.

And since NEXeon already stated that it's impossble to revert, something about the code or something, not too sure, I doubt this will make the ''Veteran Community'' love FoM again, which brings us back to this part:

''Most of the ''Veteran Community'' are held back by their never-ending nostalgia about ''the good old days where the grass was surely greener'' that they will never be able to embrace change.''

The Fommunity is stuck in the old ways, it's been like this for a long time.
Think about it, when's the last time you saw a legitimate ''12'er'' or ''newkid'' GoM R7?
Or think about the fact that terms like ''12'er'' are used as a means to belittle and discredit someone or someone's skills in FoM which, when you think about it, doesn't make any sense.

Now, I understand the concept of ''experience comes from age''
That's true, but the Veteran Fommunity also seems to forget that skill, commitment and compitence are things that do not *necessarily* come from age alone. Because to simply assume that, since you've ''been around from time to time'' entitles you to a certain level of skill, fairness, respect and wisdom
(I mean, take Kreian for example...) is ignorant on it's own, of course when you tell that such things they'll either assume you're ''a newkid'' as well: Dismissing all you stated, thought-provoking or otherwise, or they'll assume you're trolling: You won't be taken seriously.
Cappadocius
Cappadocius
Commandant
Commandant

Loyalty : 8177

Back to top Go down

Post by Graf Cyril Valdar Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:39 am

What I love is the phrase "Everything has already been done before".
You can't possibly reinvent the wheel, and make it actually roll.
Graf Cyril Valdar
Graf Cyril Valdar
Commandant
Commandant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum